Inspirations

Inspirations
The color you see is the color you get!

Saturday, May 26, 2012

make a statement...


Hello all my fabulous friends!

Can I just say that I love paint?  Yup, it's true. I love the look, the texture, and (yes) the mess of paint. So much creative fun! 

So, today I thought I would share one of my favorite techniques for paint... 
Stamping!

(yes, for those of you who seen all the old tutorials, there is already a tutorial on stamping with CI paint... but I'm putting a twist on it today)

I wanted to focus on stamping onto darker backgrounds (or in this case, a high contrast b/w photo)

Now, stamping with Burgundy CI paint onto the photo looks something like this....


Nice, if you are going for very subtle. However, what if you want to make more of a statement? Like this...


It's simple!

What you need:
Non-porus surface to work on
Makeup wedge (or other sponge)
White acrylic paint
Stamp

 Step 1: Put some white acrylic paint and some CI paint on a non-porus surface. (the more intense colors work better for this. Since we are adding white, the end result will be a lighter than the original color.)

*little side note.. for those who have been around for a while, you know how much I love to stock up on white things and just alter them to fit my needs. I have a large bottle of black acrylic paint, and a large bottle of white acrylic paint. All the colors I use are made from mixing in either Creative Inspirations paint or reinkers. White is a fabulous color!*

 Step 2: Pounce the makeup wedge into the acrylic paint. Keep pouncing the wedge on your work surface to work in the paint until you have just a light layer

Step 3: Now pounce the wedge into your CI paint. Your ratio of acrylic paint to CI paint will determine the final intensity of the color and how much shimmer shows through.

 Step 4: Pounce the paint loaded wedge onto your stamp. You can see here that I added more CI paint to some areas just for some variance. It's fun to play around with to get different shades. 

 Step 5: Stamp directly onto your photograph. (GASP!)
*you can do this with any dark background, I just LOVE stamping on photos, and this is a great medium to do it with. =)

Step 6: While you wait for you image to dry (doesn't take long), make sure to wash your stamp off well. Dried paint on stamps isn't good. I like to use a soft bristled toothbrush to get into the finer details  of the stamp.

Like I said earlier, the ratio of acrylic paint to CI paint will change the end result.

The more white, the lighter the color.

You can take the left over paint on the wedge to "ink" the edges too.

Now the big question, does it still sparkle?
The answer? Yes!  Again, the more acrylic paint you add, the subtler the shimmer, but it is there.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Creative Inspirations said...

Great tutorial Kassi!

Sandie said...

What a lovely idea Kassi... love what you have done here!

BarbaraW said...

What a cool technique. Great job.

Kianel said...

Kassi, this is such a wonderful technique! Thanks again for sharing your creative mind with us!
Love, Kianel.

Colleen Dietrich said...

FABULOUS and very interesting, Kassi! I love all the ways you use CI Paints. THanks for being so inspirational.