Inspirations

Inspirations
The color you see is the color you get!

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Foil Flowers

Hello!

Shea here with a fun, recycling idea.  Earth Day was April 22, and many of the challenges for the past couple of weeks have centered around recycling household objects.  I was sharpening one of my punches using 8 layers of aluminum foil, and as I was looking at the punched pieces, an idea began to form:  scallop circle = flowers!



First I embossed the shapes for texture, then colored one with alcohol markers but wasn't really happy.  (That's the flat one in the center.)  I knew Creative Inspirations Paints would be better, so I connected each set with a brad and then fluffed the layers bit by bit.  Fluffing that many foil layers is a bit tricky because each layer is so light and fragile, but the end result is rather fun, especially when you see the before and after.  After fluffing, I started painting using solids on some and blending colors on others (red and yellow)





I had a bit of misfortune when stamping the greeting.  I stamped it incorrectly the first time (crooked and too faint), but rather than put the piece in the scrap bin, I turned it around and stamped it again.

I also dry embossed the layer with a striped embossing folder, but, er, um, it doesn't show up.  Gee, I wonder why...


The red panel with yellow borders covers the stamping goof right up.  Seen from this angle, you can see the dimension of the foil flower and how the entire layered piece is popped up on the base of the card.


And here's a close up of the flower.  I love how the silvery foil contrasts with the paint colors on the various flowers, in this case blue.  I used a blue Metallic Inspiration in the center and some red ones along the yellow borders.  A little baker's twine and some Jeweled Inspirations at the top complete this card.

Thank you for joining me and I hope you'll visit the Creative Inspirations store to see all of their shimmery, glittery offerings.  And don't forget to visit the Creative Inspirations challenge blog as well - this fortnight's theme is Inspired By: Anything Goes.

Happy crafting!




CI colors used (on all flowers above):

Rustic Red, Turquoise, Canary, with some blending.













15 comments:

Unknown said...

how clever this is.
I never heard of the aluminum foil
I am going to research that.
hugs Tammy

jessica said...

so pretty!!! Super fun idea Shea!

Dana Tatar said...

Gorgeous flowers! I love the fun color palette!

Unknown said...

Very pretty card!!
Love your flowers!
Love using foil & you really gave an awesome example how to use it!

~ Kendra ~ said...

Lovely! Great colors used!! Love the flowers!! Never made flowers with foil, need to try it! Fun!

DIANA L. said...

Beautiful Shea I love how your flowers turned out. What a fun card

Gertrude said...

WOW, bin tota begeistert
lg gertrude

Julie Odil said...

Beautiful! I love those flowers!

Decosse's Dynamite Doodles said...

Another amazing project. So creative and who would have thought that paint would look so pretty on foil. Awesome job Shea!

Kimberly S said...

What a fun idea, and great way to use the paints! :) hugs, Kimberly

ScrappyRae10 said...

What a Greta idea. Love it and very pretty

simply monica said...

awesome love it!

Migdalia said...

very PRETTY!!
Have a wonderful day,
Migdalia
♥ Crafting With Creative M ♥
♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

Lagene said...

Wow great recycling and such a gorgeous flower & finished card!

Emily D. said...

I have used foil in my projects, but never for flowers! Thanks for the beautiful inspiration and technique Shea!!